Monday, 3 August 2015

The Treasure of Aht Urhgan


Recently, I took a break from FFXI and played FFXIV full time for two years. Upon clearing every piece of content before the recent Heavensward expansion, XI managed to suck Jkun and E100 back into Vana'diel for one, last adventure.


With the announcement of the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel expansion, heralding XI's climatic ending, the developers have been busy at work making a lot of the previous gruelling challenges a lot easier through equipment item levels and the Trust initiative, in order for returning players to enjoy all the best parts of XI without bugging other players to help them catch up.


This got me thinking; what was the one thing that I strived so hard to complete in FFXI...?


What was the one thing that was so out of my reach...?


What was the one thing that I wanted more than anything, but was almost impossible to obtain...?


That's right. Kenkonken. Puppetmaster's Mythic weapon, introduced years ago in the Treasures of Aht Urghan expansion. A quest that - even to this day - can potentially take up to and over 300 hours to complete. I started the quest the moment it was released, and now, half a decade later, I finally completed it!


The entire quest forces you to complete every single event that the ToAU expansion had to offer. Hundreds of times. Assault quests (including Nyzul Isle) Einherjar, Salvage I & II, Zeni Notorious Monsters, and even slaying the three elusive beastmen kings that plagued the Empire. The grand total of things you have to do is as follows:

★ Complete Nyzul Isle and obtain your job's Vigil Weapon
★ Obtain 150,000 Nyzul Isle Assault Points
★ Obtain 100,000 Therion Ichor from Einherjar
★ Complete all 50 Assaults a second time
★ Obtain all 3 Tier IV Zeni Trophies
★ Obtain 30,000 Alexandrite

Every single one of these events at level 75 and heck, even at 99, required a small-to-medium sized group of players to complete. But now, at ilvl119, they are actually soloable by most jobs. Puppetmaster luckily being one of them.

You can check out my solo Salvage farming guides here and here.


And so, after gearing up Jkun and E100 to ilvl119 in May, I finally set on my journey to obtain Kenkonken.

I had already completed the Nyzul Isle portion of the quest, and continued to solo farm Einherjar every hour, and - starting at zero - farmed Salvage II up to ten times a day, getting closer and closer to that gargantuan 30,000 mark. I would occasionally do Assaults and a few Zeni NMs here and there to break up the mundane boredom of walking half-naked through the undersea ruins while watching repeats of How I Met Your Mother to keep me sane.


But now, three months of grinding - and I really mean grinding - I was ready to tackle the final leg of the quest. A potential loss of  225 million gil and 300 in-game hours later, I was mere minutes away from completing my Kenkonken.


I punched Balrahn as hard as I could, time and time again, unlocking and unleashing aftermath after aftermath in order to put an end to this quest once and for all.


And just like that - as fast as Stringing Pummel's weaponskill animation - it was over.


With Balrahn bested, Kenkonken's true power was finally unlocked!





It took a very, very, very long time and extreme amounts of patience and willpower, but with my own strength (and some of E100's), I finally completed one of the biggest goals any FFXI player could achieve - and now I have complete closure from one of the best games I have ever played. All that's left is to enjoy the ending that Rhapsodies of Vana'diel has to offer!



Thank you all so much for reading! Here's to the glorious ending of Final Fantasy XI!